Tuesday, March 27, 2012

VIZIO E322VL 32-Inch LCD HDTV

I used to sell HDTVs when they first hit the market, and as such I never imagined some day I would own a Vizio. I saw the market move from ED tube sets to DLPs to plasma to LCD and so on. Just like a mechanic, while I would spend all day learning and working with beautiful TV screens, up until this recent Black Friday I was strictly a tube TV standard definition kind of guy. Yes, this is my first HDTV.

I'll say right off the bat that the picture quality on this TV is fine. I've turned off all the noise reduction and all that stuff and it just as nice as all the other LCD TVs out there. Picture quality isn't the hard part anymore. The only thing manufacturers really have to worry about is ease of use. This is where Vizio is falling short. VIZIO E322VL Reviews

The first thing that I have to mention is that the remote is just awful. It disregards over half the buttons I hit. Most menus don't scroll when you hold down the arrow buttons. The symmetrical shape ensures that I will always doubt whether I'm holding it the right direction in the dark. When you hit the menu button it lags for at least a second, sometimes turning the screen black until the visually unimpressive menu loads. I have no idea why a TV wouldn't be able to load its own menu in a split second, especially since there is NOTHING special about it.

The available settings change for each input. VGA has almost no picture settings (brightness, contrast), coax has a few more, and HDMI is just jam packed with them. Each input retains the settings that it had the last time you used it. The product sheet brags that you can label the inputs, but all that means is that it still says HDMI2 but alongside you can tag it with a preset name like "Game".

Audio settings I usually turn off just like picture, but SRS TruVolume is actually pretty killer. I'd never had a TV with this before. It's basically a fast release compressor that ducks down the volume when a loud sound happens. It really isn't that useful for commercials (AMC HD still has such a huge volume change between movies and commercials that TruVolume doesn't stand a chance), but it's nice for pretty much any action movie made in the past 20 years where the producer thinks the sound effects are more important than the whispered dialogue (looking at you Michael Mann!). samsung 1080p hdtv reviews

On to the internet apps. This was where I wasn't sure if I was making the right decision. On one hand I would prefer a simple TV with less things to break or go obsolete, but the idea of being able to watch Netflix at night without my Xbox or computer (which isn't really an option since most HD material on Netflix is "HD on your TV", not on the Silverlight player) running made me giddy. I'll get to Netflix later, but not much later since the apps (sorry, widgets) that are available are pretty much worthless. I couldn't log in to my Yahoo account because my Yahoo username was apparently too long, so I'm not sure what kind of functionality that adds. I was pretty bummed that I couldn't find a way to remove all the worthless widgets it came pre-installed with, but it seems to enjoy completely erasing them all every few weeks so that solved that problem.

So that leads me to Netflix. Oh, how glorious this could be. The interface has updated twice since I bought the unit. You don't even need to load the whole app if you just want to resume the last thing you were watching. It has all the features of the Xbox app, including search and your most recently enjoyed genres (alongside standard fare like recommendations and Instant Queue). The problem - and by problem I mean crippling flaw - is that it plays all HD content out of sync. The audio is about 500ms behind the picture. The audio menu has a "Lip sync" feature, but all it does is put the audio MORE out of sync. I can't imagine why they would only make it go one direction. I was so excited to see voice sync since that stuff drives me crazy, but it hasn't once been effective. I had high hopes each time the Netflix app updated, but the issue remains. Maybe some future update will fix it. As of February 2011 this is not the case.

Oh, and maybe the biggest flaw: the backlight hums unless it's on 100%. If yours is humming it's probably because the backlight is on 85 (default), or the Ambient Light Sensor or Backlight Control is enabled under advanced picture.